Sustainable Development Policy Institute
Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI) was founded in August 1992 on the recommendation of the Pakistan National Conservation Strategy (NCS), also called Pakistan's Agenda 21. The NCS placed Pakistan's socio-economic development within the context of a national environmental plan. This highly acclaimed document, approved by the Federal Cabinet in March 1992, outlined the need for an independent non-profit organization to serve as a source of expertise for policy analysis and development, policy intervention, and policy and program advisory services. SDPI is registered under the Societies Registration Act, XXI of 1860.
- Conduct policy advice, policy oriented research and advocacy from a broad multi-disciplinary perspective.
- Promote the implementation of policies, programs, laws and regulations based on sustainable development.
- Strengthen civil society and facilitate civil society-government interaction through collaboration with other organizations and activist networks.
- Disseminate research findings and public education through the media, conferences, seminars, lectures, publications and curricula development.
- Contribute to building up national research capacity and infrastructure.
These goals reflect the main axes of our work; the means through which we effect change. To
- catalyze the transition towards sustainable and just development in Pakistan.
- serve as a source of expertise and advisory services for the government, private sector, and non-governmental initiatives supporting the implementation of Pakistan's environment and development agenda.
- conduct policy-oriented research on sustainable development from a broad multi-disciplinary perspective.
- provide policy advice on matters relating to the mission of the Institute.
- contribute to strengthening the social and physical infrastructure for research in Pakistan.
- initiate, establish and participate in collaborative advocacy and other activities with like-minded organizations in and outside the country.
The Institute's activities are designed to provide:
- Policy advice to government
- A forum for policy dialogue
- Support to in-house, visiting and external researchers
- Publications for research, public and private sector use
- A conduit for North South dialogue
- An environment for information dissemination and training
- A base for regional advocacy and networking
The research program at SDPI drives the three main activities of policy advice, advocacy and training
SDPI defines sustainable development as the enhancement of peace, social justice and well-being within and across generations. SDPI produces knowledge that can enhance the capacity of government to make informed policy decisions and to engage civil society on issues of public interest. The Institute acts as both a generator of original research on sustainable development issues and as an information resource for concerned individuals and institutions. SDPIâ€™s function is thus two-fold: an advisory role fulfilled through research, policy advice and advocacy; and an enabling role realised through providing other individuals and organizations with resource materials and training. We welcome your views and any inquiries you may have on our website and/or organization as a whole.
For more information on Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI) , please visit:www.sdpi.org